Skip to main content

Run Disney!

"Control your temper, for anger labels you as a fool."
Ecclesiastes 7:9

I experienced a first last week and saw a new side of Disney World. This part of Disney can only be experienced by a certain group of people and though it may not be a huge deal, it was exciting for me. On the first morning of our vacation, I rose early to go on a jog. The front desk gave me a small map, showing me the route along the resorts on our road. As I walked/jogged along, I saw something on the sidewalk I'd never seen at Disney World before. I've been to Disney six times and for the very first time, I saw this:


Now, I know this isn't exactly an extraordinary thing to see, but I realized something as I continued forward. These "Run Disney" symbols are only displayed on jogging paths at Disney World. If I hadn't been convicted to jog two months ago, I could have gone my entire life without seeing this neat little circle. 

As I've been on this journey, I have made an effort to not seek outside approval for my exercising endeavors. So seeing this was like an extra boost of encouragement for my soul. I know it might sound silly, but it's true. This "Run Disney" stamp on the sidewalk literally made my entire week.

As I prayed that morning, I thought about my tendency to micromanage everything about our Disney vacations, and in life in general. I can't seem to help it. I want us to be able to do anything and everything we want in the five short days we are there. But, I'll admit, I tend to get a little crazy with it. If a hitch arises, or someone disagrees with my plan, I don't cope well. In fact, I lose it a little. I so desperately did not want that during this trip, so during my jog, I prayed hard that the Lord would help me. I wanted to encourage my family to enjoy our vacation, not wish they hadn't even gone with me!

When I finished my run, I opened my email on my phone to read my daily devotion from Proverbs 31 Ministries. The devotion was literally God speaking right to me. It was called "The Micromanaging Mama" and you can read it here. I think the title alone explains how much this devotion was meant for me! I could not believe it.

But taking a look at that first verse really tore at my heart. 

"Control your temper, for anger labels you as a fool."

How true it is! Every time I lose my temper, or come unglued, I look like a fool. Especially when it's over something silly like missing a chance to take Jack to meet another character at Disney World. I know deep down that it's foolish to get angry, but I do it anyway and regret it later. Our vacation is over now, and while I did have my "unglued" moments, I have peace that I did better than years before. My goal now is to remember that verse in day-to-day life because I want to be regarded as a woman of wisdom, not a fool! 

Losing my temper, especially over things that don't really matter, is definitely foolish. I just pray that God gives me the wisdom and ability to control mine more often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo

New

I was 15 years old the first time he told me no one would ever love me. With those words, my life changed. I saw myself as unlovable. I was worthless. I was unwanted. I was broken. I was dirty. Before that day, I loved myself well and I felt like I loved others well. Not to "toot my own horn," but I just had a naturally generous spirit. That still lingers in my love language today. Giving is how I both show and feel love. But something shifted in that moment.  The word love became a weapon. It became a tool to manipulate.  And it broke my heart. Suddenly, I found myself trying to earn it. No one could ever love me just for being me. They could only love what I could give or do for them. This always played itself out in one of two ways: I'd either give and give and give until I had nothing left and I was left feeling unloved and worthless ... or I would refuse to give anything at all and I was still left feeling unloved and worthle