Skip to main content

Commitment Vs. Competition

"Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people."
Colossians 3:23

The date of my first 5k is quickly approaching and I must admit, I'm getting a little nervous. To be honest, I'm most nervous about running in front of other people. I've said throughout this entire journey that I'm not exercising as a way to compete with other people. I so much enjoy that quiet time between God and I and I'm learning to see my value through God's eyes. 
While healthy competition can be good, I don't want to feel defeated when someone has a better time than me. People will have a better time than me. On the other hand, I don't want to become prideful if I run better than someone else.

 I want my running to be enjoyable and to improve my walk with the Lord. I don't want pride or feelings of defeat to drive a wedge in the relationship I've worked so hard to develop. When I begin to notice such feelings creep up, I pray Colossians 3:23.

"Lord, help me to work willingly at whatever I do, including jogging. Help me to make this journey about my relationship with You, not comparing myself to other people."

I truly believe that if I can let the Lord teach me this now, I can instill the same values in my own children. I want my kids to know that while it's commendable to be the best they can be and to excel at the things they do, they should never focus solely on being better than everyone else. They should always work willingly for the Lord, not just work to impress us as their parents, or anyone else for that matter. I want them to know that it's okay to be happy when they succeed, but being humble is even better. 

The Lord takes pride in His children when they work hard with the right motives. Even if I don't run a 10 minute mile, the Lord is still proud that I'm out there running and that I'm spending time with Him. I can rest assured that even if I come in last place, I'm not a failure. Failing would be never trying in the first place. I thank the Lord that He has showed me this while my children are still young so that I can hopefully never pressure them with unrealistic expectations. 

So I leave you with 1 Samuel 16:7 today, "But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The LORD doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'"

Even if my outside appearance or performance isn't the "best" according to the world, I can always rest assured that God sees my heart. And that's what really matters. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

New

I was 15 years old the first time he told me no one would ever love me. With those words, my life changed. I saw myself as unlovable. I was worthless. I was unwanted. I was broken. I was dirty. Before that day, I loved myself well and I felt like I loved others well. Not to "toot my own horn," but I just had a naturally generous spirit. That still lingers in my love language today. Giving is how I both show and feel love. But something shifted in that moment.  The word love became a weapon. It became a tool to manipulate.  And it broke my heart. Suddenly, I found myself trying to earn it. No one could ever love me just for being me. They could only love what I could give or do for them. This always played itself out in one of two ways: I'd either give and give and give until I had nothing left and I was left feeling unloved and worthless ... or I would refuse to give anything at all and I was still left feeling unloved and worthle

Wisdom

Wisdom. It's something that everyone desires to have, and that most people already believe they have. But unfortunately, we the people often choose to say and do many unwise things. I find myself needing wisdom often, but not asking for it nearly enough. Before I speak, before I post, before I act ... did I prayerfully consider why I'm saying, posting, or doing these things? Not usually. I tend to base those decisions on how I feel in the moment ... or how I want the response to make me feel. Sometimes it ends up okay. But other times, it doesn't.  I struggle most in this area when it comes to how I speak. It's not so much that terrible words cross my lips, but more often the wrong attitude. Am I quick to complain or vent my frustrations? Am I uplifting to those around me or do I just fuel the flames of discontent? I typically find that my feelings are fleeting and the words that I've spilled don't even truly reflect my thoughts. But I respond i