Skip to main content

My First Run in (Some) Rain

"Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying."
Romans 12:12

I enjoyed two new experiences this morning. The first, running in a little bit of rain! It didn't rain much, just sprinkled throughout my jog, but it was so refreshing! It may be cooler at 5:45 a.m. than later in the day, but it still gets pretty warm out there. God knew just what I needed to make it through and the light rain was such a blessing!

I also increased my mile pace by a full minute. I felt near death and was sure I wasn't going to make it, but it was so worth it when my Endomondo Sports Tracker let me know that my average pace was 13:15, when it usually sits around 14:25! Needless to say, I WAS EXCITED!

I know a 13-minute mile is nowhere near anything grand to most of the world, but to me, it was amazing! It was most exciting because I realized I don't need other people to be impressed. God pushed me through that 13-minute mile and I know He's just as proud of me as I am!

To get through my jogging intervals, I usually pray about extremely personal things that are so hard to confess and ask for help, that they take my mind off of my physical struggle.

This morning was a kicker: patience with my kids.

All parents go through this, right? There's only so many days you can listen to whining and deal with attitude. I want so desperately to not lose my own temper and to react with grace and love, especially with my children, but it can be hard. 

I've had an especially hard week dealing with separation anxiety from my infant and attitude from my preschooler. And while I'd love to say that I always react in a Godly matter, that would be a lie. So, when I started my first 1.5 minute jog this morning, God immediately laid on my heart to pray for my reactions. 

When the whining starts, take a deep breath and give her the love and affection she needs.

When the attitude starts, take the time to explain that feelings of frustration are okay, but talking back and losing our temper is not. 

And even if she whines and he loses his temper, let them know God still loves them and so do I.

And it hit me then.

God is saying the same thing to me. 

Even when I whine, complain, and lose my temper, God still loves me too. 

So Romans 12:12 gives me hope, when I feel like I'm at the end of my rope at the end of my day. 

I can rejoice and be confident in hope.

I can teach them through these struggles and let God improve me in the process. 

I can be patient in this struggle because God has been patient with me.

And most of all, I can keep on praying.

When she whines as I leave the room? KEEP ON PRAYING.

When he loses his temper and talks back? KEEP ON PRAYING.

When I feel the urge to scream or cry? KEEP ON PRAYING.

Because children learn by example, and what better example than taking my struggles to the Lord?

In the future, they will learn to do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Wisdom

Wisdom. It's something that everyone desires to have, and that most people already believe they have. But unfortunately, we the people often choose to say and do many unwise things. I find myself needing wisdom often, but not asking for it nearly enough. Before I speak, before I post, before I act ... did I prayerfully consider why I'm saying, posting, or doing these things? Not usually. I tend to base those decisions on how I feel in the moment ... or how I want the response to make me feel. Sometimes it ends up okay. But other times, it doesn't.  I struggle most in this area when it comes to how I speak. It's not so much that terrible words cross my lips, but more often the wrong attitude. Am I quick to complain or vent my frustrations? Am I uplifting to those around me or do I just fuel the flames of discontent? I typically find that my feelings are fleeting and the words that I've spilled don't even truly reflect my thoughts. But I respond i

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo