Skip to main content

Personal Records

"Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous - how well I know it."
Psalm 139:14

I missed my morning jog yesterday morning because I couldn't keep my hands off of the sneaky snooze button. By the time I jolted awake, it was 6:15 a.m. and too late to run because the hubby had to leave for work. I had prayed the night before to be motivated, and although I didn't make it up in the morning, I managed to make it outside after a fairly long day.

I wasn't expecting much from my performance. It was considerably cooler, since it was 8:30 at night, dark, and there was a nice breeze blowing off of the water. But, I was tired and had stuffed myself with Cici's just a few hours before. My running plan had me running a total of 15 minutes and walking a total of 16 minutes, but I cut my warm-up walk short and actually extended my last jog by two minutes! 

When I reached my first mile, the voice on my phone informed me that my pace was 11:36. I couldn't believe I'd beat my 12:28 personal record! By the end of my run, my pace was actually 11:07 and I could have leaped for joy! Trust me, I seriously wanted to do a happy dance! 

For some reason last night, I couldn't think of anything too specific for my prayer time. Though I spent the majority of my walk/jog in conversation with the Lord, there wasn't a deep need in my heart to address. In all honesty, I was just so excited that God has helped me so much in my jogging journey. 

When I first began running, I couldn't jog a tenth of a mile without gasping for air. My pace has increased from around 14:45 to under 12 minutes! I don't mean this in a way to sound proud of myself, but I am proud of the change in my physical lifestyle, with the help of the Lord. 

My physical, spiritual, and emotional health have all improved immensely throughout this journey. So I want to take the time to praise God with the words of Psalm 139:14 and say, "Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous - how well I know it!" Not because I think that I personally am marvelous - but that the work the Lord has done in me is wonderful! 

I think it brings God pleasure to see his workmanship on display, even in something as small as a personal jogging record. 

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
1 Corinthians 10:31

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Wisdom

Wisdom. It's something that everyone desires to have, and that most people already believe they have. But unfortunately, we the people often choose to say and do many unwise things. I find myself needing wisdom often, but not asking for it nearly enough. Before I speak, before I post, before I act ... did I prayerfully consider why I'm saying, posting, or doing these things? Not usually. I tend to base those decisions on how I feel in the moment ... or how I want the response to make me feel. Sometimes it ends up okay. But other times, it doesn't.  I struggle most in this area when it comes to how I speak. It's not so much that terrible words cross my lips, but more often the wrong attitude. Am I quick to complain or vent my frustrations? Am I uplifting to those around me or do I just fuel the flames of discontent? I typically find that my feelings are fleeting and the words that I've spilled don't even truly reflect my thoughts. But I respond i

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo