Skip to main content

Conviction

"Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust Him and He will help you."
Psalm 37:5

Just two months ago, I was in the middle of a Jennifer Rothschild Bible study, Walking by Faith. In the introduction to the week's homework, she asked a few questions, one being: Are you taking care of your body and health the way God expects you to?

Now, you would not want to get me started on this fitness thing. My husband is in the Air Force and it's part of his job to work out. 

But me?

 I'm a stay-at-home mom and I get my exercise from walking the kids down to the park. Or pushing them through the grocery store. Or chasing them around the house all day. Don't forget: I walk down the street to our mailbox every day, too! Isn't that enough exercise for me? I mean, lets get real here. I'm borderline underweight, so it's not like I need to work out. Even though I sometimes get out of breath making that short little trip to the mailbox ...

Hmm. 

I wrestled with these thoughts and the conviction in my heart for a couple of weeks. 

"I don't even like to exercise."

"When will I have time to exercise? I'm tired by the time Devin gets home from work. So I have to get up early?!" 

"Isn't it enough, God that I read my Bible every day? Now you want me to exercise, too?!"

It wasn't long before I couldn't fight the uneasiness in my spirit any longer. So, I found a Couch to 5k plan on Pinterest and decided I'd get up on Monday morning and go for a jog. 

I can only say one good thing about that morning.

I did a lot of praying!

I had to walk five minutes, jog two minutes, then walk five minutes. 

That's all. 

I thought I was going to die!

(Yes, I was really THAT out of shape!)

But, although it was miserable, I got up again on Wednesday and jogged.

It wasn't so bad that time. I made it through okay and I was feeling pretty proud of myself.

And then came Friday.

I was supposed to increase my jog by one minute and I couldn't do it.

I made it 30 extra seconds and had to sit down before I passed out, threw up, or both.

I felt so defeated and discouraged. I mean, I had pretty much chanted Philippians 4:13 throughout my entire jog.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! I can do ALL ... well almost everything, but not this! Why isn't this working?"

As I walked home with my head down, I felt like just giving up. Who was I kidding? I hate jogging. I hate exercise in general. I'm not good at it and I hate to do things I'm not good at!

I decided God hadn't really convicted me about my health because he wouldn't convict me to do something I couldn't do! And it was obvious ... I could NOT run!

I had myself pretty much convinced until I got into my Bible reading that afternoon and stumbled across Psalm 37:5.

"Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust Him and He will help you."

Not some things.

Not most things.

EVERYTHING.

Even exercise.

Especially if I knew I was being convicted about it.

Devin had been telling me that I needed to sign up for a 5k and it would motivate me to finish training. So out of curiosity, I researched local 5k's for the weekend I would finish my training.

Guess what? There was a 5k in town ... and the day before that, a FREE 5k on base.

I guess that was the Lord's way of telling me to, "GET UP AND RUN."

So, here I am.

I'm at week 5 of my training and still moving along.

I've progressed from 12 minutes of exercise at a time to 30 minutes.

Walking/jogging 2 miles at least 3 times per week.

But even more exciting than my progress in jogging, is the way my relationship with the Lord has grown.

30 minutes of walking/jogging at 5:45 a.m. gives me 30 minutes of personal time with the Lord.

 I have prayed prayers I never thought to pray before.

 I have poured my heart out as I watch the sunrise over the Santa Rosa Sound, and I'm in complete awe of God's marvelous creation.

When I enter my 1 1/2 or 3 minutes of jogging, I confess sins in my heart that I normally would push under the rug. The burn in my chest and the aches in my legs seem to go numb as I let go of things and give them to God.

That bitterness in my heart? Take it Lord.

Unforgiveness? Take that too.

Selfishness? Jealousy? Insecurity? All of those things I don't even want to admit to myself?

Take it God.

I commit EVERYTHING to You and I TRUST that you will help me.

Not just with jogging, but with everything in my life.

Did God convict me to run so that I could better take care of my body?

I think that was part of the reason.

But most of all, I think the Lord convicted me to run so that I could run to HIM.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

New

I was 15 years old the first time he told me no one would ever love me. With those words, my life changed. I saw myself as unlovable. I was worthless. I was unwanted. I was broken. I was dirty. Before that day, I loved myself well and I felt like I loved others well. Not to "toot my own horn," but I just had a naturally generous spirit. That still lingers in my love language today. Giving is how I both show and feel love. But something shifted in that moment.  The word love became a weapon. It became a tool to manipulate.  And it broke my heart. Suddenly, I found myself trying to earn it. No one could ever love me just for being me. They could only love what I could give or do for them. This always played itself out in one of two ways: I'd either give and give and give until I had nothing left and I was left feeling unloved and worthless ... or I would refuse to give anything at all and I was still left feeling unloved and worthle

Wisdom

Wisdom. It's something that everyone desires to have, and that most people already believe they have. But unfortunately, we the people often choose to say and do many unwise things. I find myself needing wisdom often, but not asking for it nearly enough. Before I speak, before I post, before I act ... did I prayerfully consider why I'm saying, posting, or doing these things? Not usually. I tend to base those decisions on how I feel in the moment ... or how I want the response to make me feel. Sometimes it ends up okay. But other times, it doesn't.  I struggle most in this area when it comes to how I speak. It's not so much that terrible words cross my lips, but more often the wrong attitude. Am I quick to complain or vent my frustrations? Am I uplifting to those around me or do I just fuel the flames of discontent? I typically find that my feelings are fleeting and the words that I've spilled don't even truly reflect my thoughts. But I respond i