Skip to main content

When I Just Don't Feel Like It

"So we keep on praying for you, asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of His call. May He give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do."
2 Thessalonians 1:11

Since I started this blog, I've tried to post every time that I run. After completing my first 5k last weekend, I took a few days to rest and to be honest, I wasn't all that excited about getting back to it. Although I've grown to love jogging, it was a little nice not having to go out in the heat and run! But, I fought the urge to  be lazy and got out on Wednesday night. I knew I had another race coming up and I was hoping to at least do a little better than the week before!

Even though I was tired, we ran pretty well on Wednesday night. We finished 3 miles in 32:25, with a pace of 10:46. But, it was painful! Even after dark, the humidity and heat were intense. It left me the tiniest bit discouraged because my next race was going to be a night race, and I was hoping I'd be able to do better! 

I have to admit, though, my spiritual life hasn't been the best this week. I know most people would think that my spiritual life has nothing to do with how well I run, but it actually has everything to do with how well I run.

I've been struggling with some things this week and instead of giving them to God, I've complained and basically let my frustration completely take over. I noticed how terrible my mood was on Thursday, and I know the only way to fix it is to give these feelings over to the Lord. I can't expect to be able to run without God. The only reason I was able to begin running in the first place is because of Him! 

I finished my second 5k last night, a glow run, with a time of 33:40, which was 53 seconds faster than my first 5k. I was proud, but most of all, I was proud of a dear friend who ran her first 5k ever, right alongside me! She did so well! 

But now that my race week is over, I'm reflecting on 2 Thessalonians 1:11, "So we keep on praying for you, asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of His call. May He give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do." Not only am I in prayer, I ask that anyone who reads this prays that I can stay focused, not on being a great runner, but on living a life worthy of God's call for my life. I pray that I can embrace the power He gives me to accomplish all of the things I'm convicted to do. I pray that I can lean on the Lord when I'm facing trouble, instead of giving in to my sinful nature. 

Lord, help me remember why I started running in the first place, and help me to keep pursuing a life as an ambassador for You, even when the enemy tells me otherwise. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo

New

I was 15 years old the first time he told me no one would ever love me. With those words, my life changed. I saw myself as unlovable. I was worthless. I was unwanted. I was broken. I was dirty. Before that day, I loved myself well and I felt like I loved others well. Not to "toot my own horn," but I just had a naturally generous spirit. That still lingers in my love language today. Giving is how I both show and feel love. But something shifted in that moment.  The word love became a weapon. It became a tool to manipulate.  And it broke my heart. Suddenly, I found myself trying to earn it. No one could ever love me just for being me. They could only love what I could give or do for them. This always played itself out in one of two ways: I'd either give and give and give until I had nothing left and I was left feeling unloved and worthless ... or I would refuse to give anything at all and I was still left feeling unloved and worthle