Skip to main content

Just Stay Calm

"The LORD himself will fight for you. Just stay calm."
Exodus 14:14

So for a bit of disappointing news, the 5k I intended to run this Friday was cancelled due to a lack of volunteers. There is another 5k on Saturday, but I still haven't decided if I should go ahead and run or wait for the free 5k I'm signed up for next Friday. I'm really anxious to get through my first race, so I may just sign up for the one this weekend!

I feel like I'm just full of disappointing news today. On top of a cancelled 5k, I had the bright idea to run an hour after eating six chocolate chip cookies and drinking a Coke. Can you say bad idea? I don't usually drink caffeine after lunchtime, but for some reason, I lost my mind tonight. I was only able to jog for 18 minutes before the pain under my ribs became too much for me. Luckily, I didn't beat myself up too much for quitting. I learned my lesson and won't be making that mistake again!

A friend and I recently began a Bible study together and I have to admit, I'm really enjoying it. It's all about new beginnings and fresh starts, which is quite an appealing topic, even if it isn't the beginning of the year. For about a week now, we've been reading the devotional content and Bible chapters on our own and then messaging our thoughts to one another. For today, we had a short devotional and then just a memory verse, Exodus 14:14, "The LORD himself will fight for you. Just stay calm."

You know, I've read through Exodus several times in my life. How often have I decided I'm going to read through the Bible, made it to Numbers, and then quit? I read Genesis and Exodus many times before I ever actually accomplished reading the Bible in its entirety. But even after reading the book of Exodus so many times, this particular verse never struck me until today. This is one reason why I love so much that Bible is the LIVING WORD. Reading it once isn't enough. The Lord has something new for me every day, whether I've read the Bible once or 100 times!

Exodus 14:14 is short, but so powerful. The LORD himself will fight for me. I find it hard to remember sometimes that the enemy is not actually people who have done things to hurt me. The enemy is, in fact, Satan. The Bible clearly states in 1 Peter 5:8 that my great enemy is the devil. He prowls around, seeking out my weaknesses, waiting to devour  me. But with just a short verse in Exodus, the Lord has assured me that He will fight for me. Not only will He fight for me, but he wants me to remain calm. The Lord is basically saying, "Have no fear. I've got this!"

So no matter the circumstance, I should rest easy. Because even though "the thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy, the Lord's purpose is to give me a rich and satisfying life." (John 10:10)

The Lord himself will fight for me. 

I need to just stay calm.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo

New

I was 15 years old the first time he told me no one would ever love me. With those words, my life changed. I saw myself as unlovable. I was worthless. I was unwanted. I was broken. I was dirty. Before that day, I loved myself well and I felt like I loved others well. Not to "toot my own horn," but I just had a naturally generous spirit. That still lingers in my love language today. Giving is how I both show and feel love. But something shifted in that moment.  The word love became a weapon. It became a tool to manipulate.  And it broke my heart. Suddenly, I found myself trying to earn it. No one could ever love me just for being me. They could only love what I could give or do for them. This always played itself out in one of two ways: I'd either give and give and give until I had nothing left and I was left feeling unloved and worthless ... or I would refuse to give anything at all and I was still left feeling unloved and worthle