Skip to main content

Run for the Red, White, & Blue 5k!

"Each time he said, 'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Well, today was the day. I ran my first 5k! I unfortunately had to walk part of it, due to the heat and humidity, but I finished strong with a time of 34:33 and a mile pace of 11:07. 

This was the first time I've ever run/jogged/walked over 2.5 miles. So just completing 3.1 miles in itself was an accomplishment! Even though I had to walk part of the way, I'm proud of myself for listening to my body's cues and not pushing myself too hard and getting injured. 

Most of all, I'm so thankful for the close relationship I've developed with the Lord throughout this journey. While I was at first tempted to quote Philippians 4:13 on this triumphant day, I felt led by the Holy Spirit instead to reflect on 2 Corinthians 12:9. 

In the last ten weeks, I have realized more than ever before that the Lord's grace is all I need. I don't need the approval or acceptance of others. I'm finally beginning to see my worth through God's eyes, and that is so unbelievably freeing for me. I wholeheartedly believe that if I had attempted to run this race any sooner than today, I would have felt defeated for walking part of the way. Instead, I realize that I set a goal, dedicated myself to accomplishing it, and followed through. Whether I ran the entire way or walked, I listened when the Holy Spirit convicted me to get off of the couch. Following God's Will for my life is what matters most. 

Never before have I understood so completely the power in letting Christ work through  my weaknesses. I'm not exaggerating when I say that ten weeks ago, I couldn't jog one full minute without being out of breath. My physical health was my weakest area and so it was only through the Lord's power that I was able to make it this far.

I feel like I can relate so well to the apostle Paul now. I want to boast, not about my success with running, but about my weakness. I want to give God all the glory for taking me this far. Without Him, I never would have had the strength to get out of bed those mornings and put on my running shoes. Without the Lord, I never would have had the strength to push through the pain and finish my workouts every day. I am not that strong, or determined, on my own. It was entirely God's power working through my weakness, and for that, I want to boast in His Name! 

Although the first race is finished, my journey has only just begun. I run my second 5k next weekend and after that, my 10k training begins! But most of all, I intend to continually grow closer to my Lord and Savior.

"Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come."
1 Timothy 4:8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo

New

I was 15 years old the first time he told me no one would ever love me. With those words, my life changed. I saw myself as unlovable. I was worthless. I was unwanted. I was broken. I was dirty. Before that day, I loved myself well and I felt like I loved others well. Not to "toot my own horn," but I just had a naturally generous spirit. That still lingers in my love language today. Giving is how I both show and feel love. But something shifted in that moment.  The word love became a weapon. It became a tool to manipulate.  And it broke my heart. Suddenly, I found myself trying to earn it. No one could ever love me just for being me. They could only love what I could give or do for them. This always played itself out in one of two ways: I'd either give and give and give until I had nothing left and I was left feeling unloved and worthless ... or I would refuse to give anything at all and I was still left feeling unloved and worthle