Skip to main content

Training

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
Proverbs 22:6

So, it's official. I'm registered for the Disney Princess Half-Marathon in February 2014! I'm pretty anxious about it, since I've never walked/ran over about four miles, ever. But, I'm determined to do it! I'm technically not supposed to start training until the first week of October, but I started this week. My hope is that I can run the Pensacola Half-Marathon in November and prove to myself that I can make it 13.1 miles! 

I'm using the Jeff Galloway run/walk method and training program. Every Tuesday and Thursday I run maintenance runs and on Saturday, I do my long runs. Right now, a 5k is a long run to me! So I'm interested to see how this is going to go! I have faith that I can do it, though! As long as I keep God as my focus while I'm running, I believe I could make it through a full marathon, if I ever decided to do it!

On another note, today is my daughter's first birthday. I can't believe a year has gone by so quickly! It seems like just yesterday that I went to Dr. Whitaker's office and was sent straight to the hospital. Just a few short hours later, she was here! Three weeks earlier than expected, but a huge blessing all the same! 

Now she's crawling around, walking behind toys (or while holding Bubba's hand!), pulling up, taking a few first steps, talking like crazy, and just being the sweetest little girl in the world. There's no question at all when it comes to her favorite person. She loves her brother very, very much! I can't wait to see their sibling relationship blossom, and I also can't wait to see her transform from a baby to a "big girl."

 I started a Priscilla Shirer Bible study this morning called, "Gideon." Our first session mainly focused on the the life of the Israelites after Joshua passed away. Priscilla discussed many different things, but what touched me the most was the relationship between generations. Why did a new generation of Israelites fall away from God? Was it the parents' fault? The children? Or both?

No more than today do I see the importance of training my children in the Word of God. It's so important that they learn about the Lord from the day they are born and that I point out to them when God is working in our lives. I don't want God to just be a story to them. I want them to recognize His very real presence in our lives! 

So no matter the circumstance, I vow now to continually show my children that God is alive and He cares for us. I also resolve to apologize to them and in front of them when I'm wrong, and to thank God in front of them when He blesses me.

Even when it comes to something seemingly small, like training for a half-marathon, I want my children to realize that God is there for us to lean and depend upon. I don't want to just speak these things, I want to prove them with my life. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo

New

I was 15 years old the first time he told me no one would ever love me. With those words, my life changed. I saw myself as unlovable. I was worthless. I was unwanted. I was broken. I was dirty. Before that day, I loved myself well and I felt like I loved others well. Not to "toot my own horn," but I just had a naturally generous spirit. That still lingers in my love language today. Giving is how I both show and feel love. But something shifted in that moment.  The word love became a weapon. It became a tool to manipulate.  And it broke my heart. Suddenly, I found myself trying to earn it. No one could ever love me just for being me. They could only love what I could give or do for them. This always played itself out in one of two ways: I'd either give and give and give until I had nothing left and I was left feeling unloved and worthless ... or I would refuse to give anything at all and I was still left feeling unloved and worthle