Skip to main content

When You Walk Along the Road

“These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”
Deuteronomy 6:6-7

It has been nearly a week since I posted last, but I haven’t been skipping my workouts. In fact, I walked more this last weekend than I have in a long time! Last Thursday, I met up with a friend for an early 30 minute maintenance run. We met around 5:45 a.m. but it was already in the 80's and extremely humid! I can’t help it though. It’s too beautiful here to workout inside!

On Friday, my parents arrived for Charlotte’s birthday party. I had previously asked my dad if he wanted to run a 5k with me on Saturday morning, but we decided against it because Charlotte’s party was also in the morning. Instead, we decided to jog my usual path together. We made a trip to the local running store on Friday afternoon and my dad got himself some good running shoes. I also came out with a Garmin Forerunner 10, which I’m so excited about. I almost want to go run every single day, just so I can use it!

When we got up at 5:15 Saturday morning, we were sad to see it raining and lightning outside! But, Florida storms don’t usually last long, so we were able to head outside around 7! We did a 5 minute warm-up walk and then we started our interval running. Can I say again how much I love my Forerunner 10? I’ve spent the last two weeks counting 30 second intervals of running and walking, but now my watch just beeps when it’s time to switch! We ran/walked until we were about half a mile from the house and then we started our cool down. By the time we got back, Dad had finished his first 5k distance!

Over the weekend, Dad and I got up at 5:30 every morning to go walking together. On Sunday night, we even walked with Mom and Jack! Overall, we traveled 11.3 miles while he was here visiting. It was such a blessing to get up and spend quality time with my dad. He is incredibly wise and it is so obvious, now more than ever, that he puts God first in his life. When he says he’s praying for us, he really means it, and when I ask advice on situations in my life, he gives me biblical counsel.

When thinking back over the last weekend, Deuteronomy 6:6-7 came to mind. My dad impresses the commandments of the Lord on me, his child. You can tell that they are in his heart. I especially liked the part about “talking about them while you walk along the road.” My dad and I shared something very special this weekend. If God hadn’t convicted me to start exercising a few months ago, I would have missed the huge blessing of getting up and walking with my dad. The time we shared this weekend is something I wouldn’t trade for the world.


So again, I’m thankful for God’s conviction. The more I see God working through this specific aspect of my obedience, the more I desire to trust Him with other areas of my life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Wisdom

Wisdom. It's something that everyone desires to have, and that most people already believe they have. But unfortunately, we the people often choose to say and do many unwise things. I find myself needing wisdom often, but not asking for it nearly enough. Before I speak, before I post, before I act ... did I prayerfully consider why I'm saying, posting, or doing these things? Not usually. I tend to base those decisions on how I feel in the moment ... or how I want the response to make me feel. Sometimes it ends up okay. But other times, it doesn't.  I struggle most in this area when it comes to how I speak. It's not so much that terrible words cross my lips, but more often the wrong attitude. Am I quick to complain or vent my frustrations? Am I uplifting to those around me or do I just fuel the flames of discontent? I typically find that my feelings are fleeting and the words that I've spilled don't even truly reflect my thoughts. But I respond i

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo