Skip to main content

God's Strength

"As soon as I pray, you answer me; you encourage me by giving me strength."
Psalm 138:3

We've had a busy week, getting ready for youth camp next week. But, I've stayed on target with my training. While I haven't been walking at least a mile every day like I've intended to, I've kept up with my half-marathon training. For the last week or so, I've been taking the kids to the track to run. My son plays on the playground and I push my daughter in the jogging stroller. Although the heat is miserable, I've wanted my body to adjust to running in warmer temperatures. Plus, the track gives my knees and ankles a break!

Lately, the subject of God's strength has been brought to my attention on several different occasions. I've heard of His strength in the stories of Joshua, Gideon, and King Hezekiah. It has taken some time, but I've realized that there are many things I attempt, and fail, to do in my own strength. Sometimes I try to run in my own strength and that never goes well. But, there are many other day-to-day things I fail to get past because I don't ask God to help me. Sometimes I think about what it would be like for God to help me. But I never ask! I  just keep moving along on my own and failing miserably.

Although I truly do pray on a daily basis, I don't continually pray throughout the day. I think a lot. I rationalize feelings and emotions in my own head. But, I don't take things to the Lord, especially in the heat of the moment. 

It hit me that I'm going to have to take some drastic measures if I want to consciously lean on God throughout the day. While I like to think that I'll close my eyes and say a quick prayer to the Lord before I say or do something dumb, it doesn't usually happen that way. I might close my eyes and start to pray, but then my mind wanders and I start to think about all the ways in which I'm right. I never ask God to really help me!

So I made the decision to start getting on my knees when I need to pray. When I pray for my husband and the kids during nap time, I get on my knees. When I start to have negative thoughts or feelings about situations or other people, I get on my knees. When I'm running late and I'm feeling frustrated with the kids because I can't seem to get out of the door, I stop and GET ON MY KNEES. I give God my undivided attention. Even if I'm late getting out the door, it's better than losing my patience with my kids. 

I haven't been doing this long, but it hasn't taken long to see that it works. In addition to slowly growing closer to God, my children are able to see that I truly am taking things to the Lord. I want them to know that prayer is the best solution for any problem. I don't want to just tell them that. I want them to see it for themselves in my life! I want them to see that I am not strong on my own. I need the strength of God!

I chose Psalm 138:3 because it speaks such a simple truth. God doesn't want me to just bring Him the "big" things in my life. He wants me to pray about everything. As soon as I pray, He answers me. He encourages me by giving me strength! The strength to change my thinking, to change my reaction,  and to change my words. I want to access God's strength in every aspect of my life. It's right there waiting for me, all I have to do is ask.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Wisdom

Wisdom. It's something that everyone desires to have, and that most people already believe they have. But unfortunately, we the people often choose to say and do many unwise things. I find myself needing wisdom often, but not asking for it nearly enough. Before I speak, before I post, before I act ... did I prayerfully consider why I'm saying, posting, or doing these things? Not usually. I tend to base those decisions on how I feel in the moment ... or how I want the response to make me feel. Sometimes it ends up okay. But other times, it doesn't.  I struggle most in this area when it comes to how I speak. It's not so much that terrible words cross my lips, but more often the wrong attitude. Am I quick to complain or vent my frustrations? Am I uplifting to those around me or do I just fuel the flames of discontent? I typically find that my feelings are fleeting and the words that I've spilled don't even truly reflect my thoughts. But I respond i

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo