Skip to main content

NO Judgment

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the LORD will be greatly praised."
Proverbs 31:30

While perusing Facebook this evening, I read an interesting blog post. The title was "Why Christian Girls Post Seductive Selfies."
It really got me thinking. 

Where was this post when I was in high school?

College?

But even if it had been around, would I have read it?

Listened?

Heeded it's advice?

Probably not. 

I was that girl.

Almost desperate for attention from the opposite sex, it reflected in the way I dressed and often in the way I acted.

"Selfies" weren't what we called them, but I definitely knew how to take the "right" picture.

I hear a lot these days that parents should control and monitor how their daughters dress/act/etc.

And that's true, to an extent.

Christian parents are judged and berated by other Christians for not "having a handle on their kids."

Well let me tell you, I have wonderful parents who were quick to let me know when I was wearing something inappropriate.

(I STAYED grounded in high school!)

But like any teenage girl, there were times, a lot of times, when I just didn't care and just didn't listen.

It wasn't until I developed my own deep relationship with Christ that I was convicted enough to care.

I made a profession of faith as a preteen, but it wasn't until I was in my 20's that I truly understood what it meant to have an actual relationship with Christ.

As I sit and reflect on this, I think I see what we're missing with our girls.
It's more than just telling our girls that dressing and acting a certain way for attention is wrong. 

Let's be honest. They already know that.

I knew that.

It wasn't until I understood God's love for me that I finally saw that I'd been looking for attention in all the wrong places.

And that's where we have to start. 

We need to teach our girls about God's love first.

Not by telling them to read their Bibles, say their prayers, and follow a list of rules. 

We need to read our Bibles with them, disciple them, pray with them, listen to them without judgment, and show them God's love through us.

Will this always work?
No, it won't.

No parent can force a child to do anything that child really doesn't want to do. 

But let me tell you a little secret.

It's not just the parents job to show our girls God's love.

It's every Christian's job, especially the women.

Don't just spew criticism and judgment toward our teenage girls and their parents.

Love them.

Love changes everything.

And that's what our girls are seeking in the first place.
LOVE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo

New

I was 15 years old the first time he told me no one would ever love me. With those words, my life changed. I saw myself as unlovable. I was worthless. I was unwanted. I was broken. I was dirty. Before that day, I loved myself well and I felt like I loved others well. Not to "toot my own horn," but I just had a naturally generous spirit. That still lingers in my love language today. Giving is how I both show and feel love. But something shifted in that moment.  The word love became a weapon. It became a tool to manipulate.  And it broke my heart. Suddenly, I found myself trying to earn it. No one could ever love me just for being me. They could only love what I could give or do for them. This always played itself out in one of two ways: I'd either give and give and give until I had nothing left and I was left feeling unloved and worthless ... or I would refuse to give anything at all and I was still left feeling unloved and worthle