Skip to main content

Heart Talk

"But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry to him reached his ears."
Psalm 18:6

We had a fun, busy weekend. It was so busy that I didn't get a chance to run on Saturday. But, I did have the chance to spend quality time with my kids and husband, and sometimes I need that more than a jog! Even in the middle of half-marathon training! 

After dinner tonight, I went for a 30-minute "maintenance" run. I usually try to do around 2 or 2.5 miles on my weekday runs, but I did 3.2 tonight. It wasn't nearly as hot, so I enjoyed going a little further than usual. Maybe this means I'm slowly making progress!

As I jogged, I reflected a little on how far I've come in the last four months. To be honest, I'm pretty excited that I haven't quit by now. Usually when I take a "week off" from something, I end up giving it up completely. Although my upcoming 5k and two half-marathons probably have a lot to do with me pushing forward, I'd like to think that I have some determination hidden inside as well. 

Sometimes I'm tempted to just "give up" when it comes to my relationship with God. There are those weeks when it seems like I'm totally in tune with the Holy Spirit and I can almost visibly see God's presence in my life. Then I have a bad day or two and I feel like I'm lost with no way back. I go through the motions and my heart isn't in it. Those are the times I have to beg God to help me desire Him once again.

So often in life I just have to let my heart do the talking. I can't find the words to say to God, so I just sit in His Presence and open up my heart. The Lord knows my every thought, wish, and problem. I truly believe that I distract myself by trying to come up with the "perfect" thing to say. I forget that I don't need to impress God. He already knows what I need. He just wants me to bring it to Him. 

Psalm 18:6 reminds me of a song we've been singing a lot lately, "From the Inside Out" by Hillsong United. Although the verse may speak of verbally crying out, I think of my heart crying out. Maybe I will be less tempted to "give up" if I start pursuing God with my heart, instead of my words.

No one wants to admit when they have a heart problem. We say things to make ourselves feel or look better, but we can't hide what's in our heart. Even if we make our prayers "sound" good to God, or others, they don't change the underlying problem inside. From now on, I want to just open my heart to the Lord and let Him fix the things that really need work. I know He's tired of me trying to convince Him that I'm someone I'm not. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Wisdom

Wisdom. It's something that everyone desires to have, and that most people already believe they have. But unfortunately, we the people often choose to say and do many unwise things. I find myself needing wisdom often, but not asking for it nearly enough. Before I speak, before I post, before I act ... did I prayerfully consider why I'm saying, posting, or doing these things? Not usually. I tend to base those decisions on how I feel in the moment ... or how I want the response to make me feel. Sometimes it ends up okay. But other times, it doesn't.  I struggle most in this area when it comes to how I speak. It's not so much that terrible words cross my lips, but more often the wrong attitude. Am I quick to complain or vent my frustrations? Am I uplifting to those around me or do I just fuel the flames of discontent? I typically find that my feelings are fleeting and the words that I've spilled don't even truly reflect my thoughts. But I respond i

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo