Skip to main content

Finding New Strength

"But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles."
Isaiah 40:31

I know it has been a good long while since I've posted, but there are both good and bad reasons for that. The good reason is that my husband and I were chaperones for our youth group as they spent a week at Student Life camp. I didn't have much time to sleep, let alone write a blog post, but the Lord worked in wonderful ways and the entire week was such a huge blessing. It was wonderful to see our youth group grow and to experience growth ourselves! I went jogging one morning while I was there and on another morning, I took a walk with one of the girls in our group. It was well worth slowing down. I got a chance to get to know her better and she was such a blessing!

Now for the bad reason. When we got home from camp, I took a break. I took an entire week off. At first, it was just supposed to be a few days to catch up on sleep, but it quickly turned into me missing three runs! I was a little disappointed in myself, but I got right back out there this week. I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things, but it feels good to be lacing up my running shoes once again!

Anyone who has been to church camp knows what it's like once you get home. You've experienced this amazing spiritual high and you're on fire for the Lord. You hold on as tight as you can, but as soon as you step one foot away, Satan starts attacking. And attacking. Then attacking some more. I've been in deep prayer concerning our group because I knew that they were going to face spiritual warfare. But I forgot to pray that hard for myself!

I feel like I've really been hit hard by Satan. I lost my will to run last week, but I've been fighting back this week. My kids have been sick. I couldn't go to church on Sunday, or Wednesday, or go to Bible study. I've felt like I can't catch a break and I've been MAD about it. Mad enough to start holding it in, which is not my nature at all!

When my husband got home from work tonight, I told him I needed to go run. I needed to get away, to listen to my praise music, and to get alone with God. I probably didn't vent my frustrations verbally to Him as much as I should have, but I believe that God knows our hearts. Every time my feet hit the ground, I felt like I was stomping Satan in the face. And it felt GOOD! 

As soon as I saw Isaiah 40:31, I knew it was the Lord speaking to me. I only need to trust in Him and He will get me through this tough week. Or two. Or three! He will give me new strength! I don't have to put on a brave face and stuff my frustrations inside. God is patiently waiting for me to toss them over to Him so that He can carry that burden for me. 

So I'm just going to keep tossing them over. And I think I'll keep running, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Letter from a Recovering Racist

It all started with books. As soon as I learned to read, my world began to change. When I was born, my world was small. I grew up in the Deep South. Fields for miles. Mosquitoes big enough to drain you dry. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Everyone around me looked just like me . Until I started kindergarten. As I grew older, I learned beside people who didn't look like me. But as time went on, the lines were drawn in the sand. We were "us" and they were "them." The lines were drawn with words, attitudes, and beliefs. Were there big explosions of speech and blatant actions? Yes. But most were whispers. It's easy to deny a whisper. A look. A thought. An idea. But many whispers together make a lot of noise. And the sound was deafening. The older I grew, the more books I read. Although I interacted daily with people not like me, I never listened to their voices. Not in person. But I read. I read and I read and I read. I read boo

New

I was 15 years old the first time he told me no one would ever love me. With those words, my life changed. I saw myself as unlovable. I was worthless. I was unwanted. I was broken. I was dirty. Before that day, I loved myself well and I felt like I loved others well. Not to "toot my own horn," but I just had a naturally generous spirit. That still lingers in my love language today. Giving is how I both show and feel love. But something shifted in that moment.  The word love became a weapon. It became a tool to manipulate.  And it broke my heart. Suddenly, I found myself trying to earn it. No one could ever love me just for being me. They could only love what I could give or do for them. This always played itself out in one of two ways: I'd either give and give and give until I had nothing left and I was left feeling unloved and worthless ... or I would refuse to give anything at all and I was still left feeling unloved and worthle