Skip to main content

And Just Like That ... I'm 30!

 "The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps."
Proverbs 16:9

30 is a milestone.

I can't help but reflect over the last decade as I watch the clock click closer to my birthday.

On this day ten years ago, I was scared out of my mind. I was leaving my teenage years and I'd just found out I was going to be a mother.

My mom held me as I cried, realizing my childhood was officially over.

I'd been determined to grow up for so long, but when the time came, I was convinced I wasn't ready.

For my entire pregnancy, God drew me closer to Him than I'd ever been before. I had no choice but to lean on Him, and I felt Him promise that He had big plans for my life. I wasn't so sure I believed Him wholeheartedly, but I was at peace.

Time began to pass rather quickly after that.

My beautiful son was born that year, and 15 months later, in my 21st year, I became a wife.

I remember being extremely sick with the stomach virus on my 22nd birthday. I was turning 22 on 2-22 and I could barely get off the couch! What a lousy way to spend the day!

But in May of my 22nd year, I fulfilled my dreams as I received my degree, despite becoming a mother and a wife right in the middle of my college career.

That same year, my husband joined the Air Force and I felt like I was waiting in limbo for our life to begin.

Right before I turned 23, our little family moved to Florida, and for the first time, I truly felt like I was becoming an "adult."

My 23rd year brought our first deployment and the news that our son was going to become a big brother.

Around the time I turned 24, we moved to a house on base, near the water, that to this day was our "home" for the longest period of time.

A few months later, we welcome a beautiful baby girl into our family.

Turning 25 was somewhat hard for me. It was one of my loneliest seasons.  I was a stay at home mom, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I struggled in the area of friendships. On April 1st of my 25th year, I went for my very first run, and seven months later, I ran my first half marathon. To me, it was a huge deal that I was able to work hard and commit myself to something that was for me as a person, not just me as a wife and a mother.

26 was a year of many emotions and questions. Our years in Florida had brought me to a deep appreciation and love for God. As time passed, I felt a gentle nudging from Him and I fought the Lord strongly about it. My husband surrendered to his calling and changed career paths, and while I fully supported him and knew it was exactly what God wanted him to do, I also felt God calling us away from our home and out into the unknown and I did NOT want to go.

My son also started kindergarten and I was an emotional wreck! I took a part-time job at his school and we purchased our very first home.

Not long after I turned 27, I took a full-time teaching position, my very first, and my husband left on his second deployment. We soon got word that we had orders and would be moving across the country as soon as school was over. I can't lie, it was a very stressful season. Balancing a full-time job, raising two kids, preparing to move, and selling a house, all while my spouse was halfway across the world, was almost too much for me to handle.

God had been calling us for two years to the Pacific Northwest, and although I was absolutely heartbroken to leave our home in Florida, I was willing, though somewhat unhappily, to go.

My 28th year brought our big move. We moved to Washington homeless, but God quickly provided every step of the way and we ended up exactly where we were meant to be. My son started 2nd grade in public school, which was a big change for us, and it ended up being a huge blessing. I spent that year at home with my daughter, soaking up every bit of time I had left before she joined her brother at school.

The day after I turned 29, I received a phone call from my doctor that turned my life upside down. I spent many months sad, bitter, and afraid, but by September, I had a clean bill of health physically, even if I wasn't quite there yet emotionally.

My daughter began kindergarten and a few weeks later, I was hired to teach part-time at my kid's school. I had worried about working and balancing my time, but this position was perfect and gave me a chance to even teach my own children. It was truly an answered prayer.

In my 29th year, I finally began to think of Washington as "home."

All those years ago, looking at a positive pregnancy test, I remember telling my now husband that "in ten years, we'll look back and be able to see how God took this situation and worked it out for His good." My 20-year-old self was a little wiser than she knew.

The clock just struck midnight, and although I may feel like I'm turning into a pumpkin, I'm really just turning 30.

May the next decade of my life be filled with just as much love and adventure as years past.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Even When I Run Away ...

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 It's been over a year since I wrote in this blog. The past year has brought many life changes for our family. My husband returned from deployment and we packed up and moved across the country. I've had to adjust to a new home, a new school for my son, a new church, and new friends ... New everything. I haven't written in this particular blog because it's always been my place to share about my running journey and how my relationship with God has matured through that quiet time with Him. But over the last year or so, I haven't really been running.  And I've felt further from God than I've felt in a really long time.  At the beginning of 2017, I slowly began running again. A friend and I signed up for a half marathon and despite the sometimes awful weather here, I haven't missed a training run yet. I began to feel like I was fin

Wisdom

Wisdom. It's something that everyone desires to have, and that most people already believe they have. But unfortunately, we the people often choose to say and do many unwise things. I find myself needing wisdom often, but not asking for it nearly enough. Before I speak, before I post, before I act ... did I prayerfully consider why I'm saying, posting, or doing these things? Not usually. I tend to base those decisions on how I feel in the moment ... or how I want the response to make me feel. Sometimes it ends up okay. But other times, it doesn't.  I struggle most in this area when it comes to how I speak. It's not so much that terrible words cross my lips, but more often the wrong attitude. Am I quick to complain or vent my frustrations? Am I uplifting to those around me or do I just fuel the flames of discontent? I typically find that my feelings are fleeting and the words that I've spilled don't even truly reflect my thoughts. But I respond i

Wherever I Go

"This is my command - be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 It's been about a week since I've posted, but our computer had a virus and was being held hostage at Best Buy. I think it was a nice break, though. My hip is feeling much better now. I took two full days off from running and walking, but I picked back up last Saturday. I did three miles instead of four, but I didn't want to push myself too hard and hurt myself again! On Sunday and Monday, I just went on leisurely one mile walks. I went alone on Sunday and really just enjoyed being in the presence of the Lord. There was a nice breeze and I listened to praise music, letting my heart converse with God. It was wonderful and I could feel myself beginning to rest again in His arms.  On Monday, I went on walks with the kids. Jack walked right alongside me in the morning and rode his bicycle in the afternoon. W